DIY SWADDLE BLANKETS

Tuesday, March 4, 2014


Are you familiar with the Aden & Anais Swaddle Blankets? I love them. Everyone I know who has them loves them. What's not to love? The price. That's what. Depending on which pattern you choose they range from $30-$50. That's more than I'd like to pay for 4 muslin blankets. So I made some. I had a hard time finding the fabric in stores, though there are tons of places you can buy it online. Fabric is one thing I don't like to buy online because of the simple fact that I can't touch it and see how soft or stretchy it is. Regular muslin at most fabric stores isn't quite what you're looking for. Ask around for cotton gauze or muslin gauze. There is one huge fabric store about 30 minutes away that I haven't checked and am hoping to find some there mostly because I want more options for colors. So where did I find it? Walmart. Of all places. They only had 3 yards left and it's not the exact color I wanted but the salesman wasn't sure how to price it so he only charged me $1.50/yard. Win. I made each blanket 46"x46" so 3 yards made 2 blankets.

It's just about the easiest sewing project you'll ever do. Cut to size, double fold the edges and sew around the perimeter. That's it. Then I found a bumblebee stamp at Micheals and decided to try and stamp one of the blankets. I used non-puffy fabric paint and just painted it onto the stamp before each print. If you go this route, make sure you have a scrap of fabric that you can stamp in between the prints to keep the image from getting too thick or gloppy. I haven't washed it yet (the paint bottle said to wait 72 hours) so I'm not sure how it will hold up but I'll let you know. I like how it turned out. The bees aren't all the exact same and it's not entirely perfect but I like that the paint was thin and not rough after it dried. 

$4.50 over $50? Done : )



1 comment:

  1. WOW NATASHA LOVE THIS!!! Sloane got some of them as a gift and they are amazing blankets, but I can't stomach the price tag. I'm definitely going to make some of these now!!
    ~katie

    ReplyDelete